[rrd-developers] The font search

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 17 22:54:52 MET 2002

Folks,

I have been hunting for a good highquality font to use in rrdtool
as a default font ... I have not been successful.

1) Most fonts even if they are 'gratis' have rather non'free
   licenses.

2) Apart from the Microsoft stuff I have not found any fonts which
   look decent at small sizes ...

Any ideas for a hinted, Free, truetype font in a sanserif design ?

Otherwhise I guess I will have to burden the user with finding a
font when installing rrdtool ...

I have looked at the fonts available in openoffice, and they look
simply cheep ... I also looked at the (gratis) luxi fonts in xfree,
and even though they are from B&H, the results on screen are
abysmal ...

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi