[rrd-developers] Re: Rrdtool thoughts

Michael T. Babcock mbabcock at fibrespeed.net
Thu Jun 6 20:01:45 MEST 2002

w.r.t. XML description of graphing:

What I'm trying to consider "out loud" below, is the direct representation
of a current rrdtool graphing description in XML.  The other option (in my
mind) is to move the 'defs' out of the way and describe them within the
chart/label entries directly (like my previous XML file did).

If you want to make this look pretty, save it as a .xml file and load it in
IE or Mozilla (or your favorite XML editor, like VIM).

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<chart>
 <option name="start">-86400</option>
 <option name="end">-1</option>
 <title>Today's disk activity</title>
 <width>600</width>
 <height>250</height>
 <base>1024</base>
 <option name=alt-autoscale-max />
 <label type="vertical">Bytes Transfered</label>
 <def vname="diskin">
      <rra>
       <file>/var/rrd/diskio.rrd</file>
       <ds>diskin</ds>
       <cf>average</cf>
      </rra>
 </def>
 <def vname="diskout">
      <rra>
       <file>/var/rrd/diskio.rrd</file>
       <ds>diskout</ds>
       <cf>average</cf>
      </rra>
 </def>
 <!-- skipped -->
 <def vname="diskwoswapin">
      <calc type="rpn">diskin,swapin,-</calc>
 </def>
 <def vname="diskwoswapout">
      <calc type="rpn">diskout,swapout,-</calc>
 </def>
 <!-- and so on ... skipping graph descriptions ... -->
</chart>