[rrd-developers] Re: Future RRD Framework Requirements

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 17 16:09:05 MEST 2002

--- "Michael T. Babcock" <mbabcock at fibrespeed.net> wrote:
> You comment on similar data files and wildcards. I find it useful to
> simply use the filesystem's namespace instead.
>
> /var/rrd/nic/gw1.fibrespeed.net/eth0.rrd
> /var/rrd/nic/gw1.fibrespeed.net/eth1.rrd
> /var/rrd/nic/www.fibrespeed.net/eth0.rrd
>
> ... for example.
>
> Using a filesystem based naming scheme (where the tool is aware only of
> 'nic/*/eth0.rrd'), a generalised (XML-based?) configuration file can be
> dropped under 'nic/' and used for all files under that point in the
> filesystem hierarchy. (Yeah, I've read too many ReiserFS discussions).

Well, I have a good contra-example: we are using FlowScan with my
own analysis module (actually, http://carrierin.sourceforge.net is its home page),
and it puts all RRD files into one directory. But I still want to
treat them as a hierarchy, depending on the filename pattern.

I've just finished the first proposal for the XML configuration file
which could fit into the paradigm described in Requirements:

http://carrierin.sourceforge.net/config-sample.xml

Regards,
Stan