[rrd-developers] Re: LINE2 precision in rrdtool 1.1.x

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 3 22:33:18 MET 2002

Hi Tobi,

--- Tobias Oetiker <oetiker at ee.ethz.ch> wrote:
> well this is due to the automatic selection of the RRA which
> supplies data it seems you have setup RRAs in your RRD which
> provide data in such a way that the lower resolution rrd provides
> better coverage of the requested time slot ... and coverage alywas
> overrides precision....
>
> eg 1 RRA is 3 steps and the other is 7 steps ... this will cause
> a number of points in time where the 7 step RRA will provide better
> converage of the requested interval than the 3 step RRA ...

The thing is, that the 5-minute RRA covers 2 past weeks, and the graph
requested covers 24 hours. And half-hour RRA matches the same period
evenly. This is how those RRD files are created:

      RRA:AVERAGE:0:1:4032
      RRA:AVERAGE:0:6:2016
      RRA:MAX:0:6:2016
      RRA:AVERAGE:0:288:732
      RRA:MAX:0:288:732

The other thing, which could point us to a bug, is that this happens
to LINE2 line, and the red LINE1 Holt-winters boundaries look as they
must be. The rrdgraph command is absolutely the same as given in
jake Brutlag's article. I can give you a log excerpt on Monday, but there's
really nothing special. The holt-winters RRA lengths are two weeks as well.

Regards,
Stanislav