[rrd-developers] Re: Posible bug/unexpected behaviour on templated update

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Oct 15 00:47:02 MEST 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 04:34:29PM +0200, javier at rediris.es wrote:

> In my opinion it is not hard to avoid this full-update, but it could be a
> little harder (but probably possible) to avoid it without any change in the
> actual rrd structures. The point is if should be valuable the extra effort
> of the second path or the increased flexibility is not valuable or even
> desirable.

<IMHO>
In one single RRD only combine data sources that relate to each other.
If you can update one DS at one time and another at another time, you
should be using two different databases.
</IMHO>

Think about what's needed to determine if a single element of the last
row is updated for each RRA.  Currently it can be done by checking
against one number; your modifications would need to have one such flag
per DS. (last update time)

A flag "is_updated" would need another variable: "since" or "per" or "at"

Alex