[rrd-developers] Re: rrdtool-1.0.39 on Solaris 6 : configure error

Dawid Kuroczko qnex at atlantis.ssw.krakow.pl
Wed Sep 4 23:30:29 MEST 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich wrote:

> > When I run sh configure on my system I have the following error :
> > checking for the C compiler perl wants to use to build its modules...
> > ./configure: test: unknown operator -B/usr/ccs/bin/
> >
> > I run Solaris 6 and perl 5.8.0
> >
> > Does anyone run into this issue ? What was the solution ?
>
> One solution is to read the archives. The question was asked multiple only weeks
> ago. In short: Install all GNU Tools and GCC, including correct settings of
> $PATH. This should help, cause Solaris don't compile that good.

The line in question looks like this:

        AC_MSG_CHECKING(for the C compiler perl wants to use to build its modules)
        PROBLEMCC=`$PERL -e 'use Config; exit 0 if -x $Config{cc}; map {if (-x "$_/$Config{cc}"){exit 0}} split /:/, $ENV{PATH};print $Config{cc}'`
        if test x$PROBLEMCC != x; then
                AC_MSG_RESULT(no)
                echo Could not find the Compiler: '"'$PROBLEMCC'"'
                echo which has been used to build perl. You may have to compile
                echo your own copy of perl to make this work. Binary perls often
                echo exhibit this problem
                exit 1
        else
                AC_MSG_RESULT(found)
        fi

So, the idea is to check whether compiler is available through $PATH,
and if not exit 0.  But it failed because Sun's cc variable was not
just a binary name but also a binary name with options.  A quick
solution for this problem would be changing PROBLEMCC line to
something like this:

	PROBLEMCC=`$PERL -e 'use Config; ($cc) = $Config{cc} =~ /^(\w+)/; exit 0 if -x $cc; map {if (-x "$_/$cc"){exit 0}} split /:/, $ENV{PATH};print $cc`

Hope that helps. :-)

   Regards,
     Dawid