[rrd-developers] Re: rrdtool libraries segfault with getopt

Markus Baertschi markus at markus.org
Fri Apr 4 19:54:40 MEST 2003

Tobi,

I've done some experimenting and can found, that the rrd_* routines
require that the optind variable is set to zero before calling them.
If you use getopt the optind variable points to the last argument
in your respective argv after the array is processed. Getopt picks
up where it left using this method. As this is standard unix proctice
, I feel that the rrd_* routines should reset optind to zero before
getopt processing.
One could argue the user of getopt should reset optind to zero after
each usage of getopt, but I've never seen this done. At the moment
the rrd_* routines assume that getopt is zero, which breaks them for
any program using getopt itself.

Brian, Peter,

thanks for your input. For now I stick to my workaround. I've had a look
at 1.1 and found that it has no feature I would need and my 1.0 setup
is working.

Regards Markus

--
  Markus Baertschi             Phone: ++41 (21) 807 1677
  Bas du Rossé 14b             Fax  : ++41 (21) 807 1678
  CH-1163, Etoy                Email: markus at markus.org
  Switzerland                  Homepage: www.markus.org