[rrd-developers] Re: [rrfw-devel] RRDTool Number format

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 30 01:25:51 MEST 2003

Yesterday Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm cross-posting it to rrd-developers list, since
> it might be rrdtool problem.
>
> For COUNTER and DERIVE types, the previous value is compared with
> the new one by rrd_diff function, defined in rrd_diff.c.
>
> Tobi, in this function I couldn't find any code that would compare
> double numbers in scientific notation. Probably I'm too tired after
> a hard week....

Stan,

counter do not return numbers in scientific notation ... they
return potentially large integers. so you must make sure that your
code does not turn them into sci notation numbers ...

or this at least is the assumption the code is written on ...

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker   +41(0)1-632-5286