[rrd-developers] Re: XPORT command, rrd_xport.c has version problem

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 19 17:10:09 MET 2004

Hi David,

bugfixes should go into both the dev and the stable branche ... the
file version numbers in the dev branche do not get updated ... so
this should be fine ...

as for building the dev branche I can not tell you much, as I have
not built it lately ... maybe others can tell more ...

> XPORT Bug and Fix
>

> I have run into an issue with XPORT when the requested data results in
> multiple variables with different granularity (step sizes.)  For example,
> you might have a variable, say ifInOctets measured every 60 seconds, and a
> consolidation function for Max every 5 minutes, or 300 seconds.  Then you
> request the latest two hours of data, you will get 121 ifInOctet values, but
> only 25 Max consolidations of that variable.  This should not be a problem,
> but XPORT matches the first 25 Max variables with the first 25 ifInOctet
> variables.
>

> To make matters worse, if ifInOctets is listed first in the request, the Max
> data for rows 26 - 121 will be invalid, or worse, XPORT will fail with a
> segmentation fault.
>

> XPORT Version Problem
>

> I have coded a fix for this using rrdtool version 1.0.46 as a baseline.  I
> tried to get the development version, but the comment in the file
> rrd_xport.c mentioned version 1.0.37, which didn't seem right.  Here is the
> current state of the code as I can see it:
>

> Version 1.0.46                                Development Version
>
> Stamped 1.0.46                              Stamped 1.0.37
>
> Uses str2rpn()                                 Uses rpn_parse()
>
> numRows=(end-start)/step + 1         numRows=(end-start)/step
>
> Improves unknown option handling    Removes some 'dead' code
>
>                                                      Uses rrd_graph_init()
>

> I have created a patch for 1.0.46, but I cannot compile the development
> version, so I'm not sure what to do.  Can someone who has been contributing
> to rrdtool give me some advice here?  The changes are not that complicated,
> but I want to make sure that I don't fix the wrong baseline (so my fixes get
> lost) or stomp on someone else's fixes.  Thanks.
>

> -David Barker
>
>  Network Computing Technologies, Inc.
>
> DBarker (at) gnilink (dot) com
>
> 703-295-4978
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker   +41(0)1-632-5286