[rrd-developers] Sample data with "Irregular Intervals"

Vamsi Mohan Harish kannurih at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 09:49:42 MET 2004

Hello,

I have created RRD file with the following configuration.

Create 192.168.31.248.rrd –start 1076209323 –step 1800
DS:Output:GAUGE:2400:0:U
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:48
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:56
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:60
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:60
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:48:400

RRA:MAX:0.5:6:56
RRA:MAX:0.5:12:60
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:60
RRA:MAX:0.5:48:400

I have decided to keep 30 Minutes time interval for posting values into the RRD file. This is based on the configuration of the network device which sends udage data (in Bytes) of the IP Addresses for every 30 Minutes.

But my problem is, the time difference between the records posted is varying and is not exactly 30 Minutes. But I am getting the usage graph with the following configuration.

I am cacluating the total usage for 1 day (Graph generated based on the 1st RRA), 48 samples the following way.

Total Usage Data for 24 Hours = (Average Value displayed on Graphs) * 48.
The value caculated is NO WAY NEAR to the actual usage data.

Will RRD Tool IGNORE the values which do not fall under the given time intervals.

Graphs is created with the following configuration

//Base Value = 1024  (-b 1024)

DEF:AVGOUT=192.168.31.248.rrd:Output:AVERAGE
CDEF:CMAXOUT=MAXOUT,UN,0,MAXOUT,IF
CDEF:CAVGOUT=AVGOUT,UN,0,AVGOUT,IF
AREA:CAVGOUT#00eb0c:AVG Output
LINE2:CMAXOUT#0000ff:MAX Output\\n
GPRINT:CAVGOUT:AVERAGE:Average value \\: %1.2lf KB\\n
GPRINT:CMAXOUT:MAX:Maximum value \\: %1.2lf KB\\n

Sample data I am getting

Time Stamp              Bytes

1070971343                4
1070971344                64
1070973135                12
1070973142                6
1070974944                64
1070975153                40
1070976733                1
1070976848                534
1070978538                60
1070978559                1

The Difference between Intervals

1070971344       1070971343   1
1070973135       1070971344   1791
1070973142       1070973135   7
1070974944       1070973142   1802
1070975153       1070974944   209
1070976733       1070975153   1580
1070976848       1070976733   115
1070978538       1070976848   1690
1070978559       1070978538   21

Do the values for which the time difference not around 1800 will be ignord by RRDTool?.

Please help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Harish