[rrd-developers] Re: rrdsplit and perl 5.8 module for windows

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Mar 27 12:31:53 MET 2004

Today Hans-Peter Werner wrote:

> xml as intermediate-format is what i was thinking of at first. but it has a
> severe drawback. xml-files are getting really big with some rrds (in our
> case about 50MB), so processing those files is very time- and
> memory-consuming.
> i think that 'add' and 'delete' would be easy to implement, as well as
> joining rrds, having the same RRAs and step.
> but i dont see the need for this, since you can generate graphs from
> multiple rrds. so, in my opinion, a single rrd for each ds is all you need.
> but i'm not using all features of rrdtool, especially CDEF, so maybe i miss
> the point.

Hi Hp,

if performance is of no concern to you, using one RRD per DS is the
right thing todo ... if performance is an issue you want to add
several DS to one RRD especially if you tend to use them as a group
all the time anyway ...

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker   +41(0)1-632-5286