[rrd-developers] Back in town, and Re: SUM Consolidation Function in RRDTool

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Apr 10 22:13:01 MEST 2005

Hi there,

After being off list for quite a while, I'm back and planning
to stay for a while again.

Let's start by promoting rrdtool version 1.2 which, as you know,
is in its release-candidate stage:

On April 4th, 2005, Sebastian Bauer wrote:

> Hi developers list,
>
> I wonder if there is a simple way to sum up all values of a given
> interval. If there is something like a SUM CF or another "simple"
> way do achieve this, please tell me. If there's nothing like this,
> and others are interested in this functionality I'd like to implement
> something like this. At the moment I have to finish my diploma :) so
> I'd try the SUM thing in May.

Hi Sebastian,

Please have a look at the 1.2 release candidate and check VDEF TOTAL.

In the documentation:

   TOTAL
           Returns the rate from each defined time slot multiplied with the
           step size.  This can for instance return total bytes transfered
           when you have logged bytes per second. The time component returns
           the amount of seconds

           Example: "VDEF:total=mydata,TOTAL"

It seems to do exactly what you ask for.

cheers,
Alex