[rrd-developers] Re: Data Loss on non-contiguous updates

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Aug 14 03:42:49 MEST 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 04:36:16PM -0700, Lee Thompson wrote:
> I'm not sure if this issue has been covered before in
> this forum.

Yes it has.

> When you write a program that updates rrd files at
> adhoc intervals, non-contigous updates are dropped.

No, they don't. They are treated exactly the way you
have asked them to be.  Yes, you.

> What I mean by non-contiguous is a sample that is
> several samples in the future to the last sample
> written to rrd.  I spent some time tracking this
> problem down.

You might have saved some time by RTFM.

> I would prefer that rrdtool would detect this "fill
> in" situation and automatically null out the prior
> data and preserve the new update value.  This would
> make client rrdtool programming easier.

I think you need a drawing program, not a data logger.

I also think that patch destroys much of what rrdtool
is about.

Last but not least I wonder why you are writing this
on the developers list, you being a user.

Alex