[rrd-developers] Re: PHP4 extension

D.Walsh info at daleenterprise.com
Fri Feb 25 18:55:12 MET 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 11:11, jeff vier wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 11:09 -0500, D.Walsh wrote:
>> I've been attempting to contact Joe Miller about his PHP4 extension
>> but
>> he has not responded to any e-mail over the last 60 days.
>>
>> Is anyone here familiar with this code and can assist in correcting a
>> functionality issue?
>
> Post what issue you're having and we can tell you :)

I was unable to build a working extension with the provided files, I
have rebuilt the config.m4 file to be compliant and now a working
module can be built and I've verified working properly on the following
OS's:

FC1
FC2
FreeBSD 5.2
Mac OSX 10.2.x
Mac OSX 10.3.x

(actually I can only test the rd_graph function because I don't have
any PHP scripts that perform any other function calls.)

I wanted to embed the extension into PHP and as the documentation
explained, I moved the config.m4, rrdtool.c and php_rrdtool.h to
php-4.3.10/ext/rrdtool, did the buildconf --force, configured PHP with
'--with-rrdtool' and it embedded the functions in PHP as expected
however, trying to use the embedded rrd_graph function always results
in a 'invalid rpn expression' yet if I build PHP with
'--with-rrdtool=shared'. it makes a shared extension and it works
flawlessly.

Making the functions embedded is mainly a Mac OSX preference and I have
been extremely successful doing this with other extensions.

I've made changes to the source files using the zlib extension
(ext/zlib) and the xdebug extension as examples/footprints and while it
did make the compiled code smaller, it did not make the embedded
rrd_graph function work properly.

I can provide root access to the server in question by ssh or through
tightVNC (for Windows) or you can download the *nix source and build
your own *nix cleint or you can use your own VNC client if you have
another preference.

-- Dale