[rrd-developers] Re: BUG: attempt to put segment in horiz list twice ??

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Thu Jul 28 09:46:45 MEST 2005

Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

> You shouldn't close stderr, but redirect it somewhere, like to a file or
> to /dev/null.

Yep, tried that too, same result, i.e. the browser hangs.

> Is the command-string in 'buffer' properly terminated with a 0-byte?

Yep.  This code works perfectly fine with rrdtool 1.0.45.

> Or *maybe*, as an alternative way to restore stderr, leave all that code
> as is, but replace the line with "dup2(oldstderr,2);" by:
>
>   close(2);
>   dup(oldstderr);
>   close(oldsterr);

That did the trick!  I'm now writing the stderr output to a logfile, and use the above to
restore stderr, perfect.  (even if I don't understand what the code really does ...)

Thanks Ruud!

Of course, this doesn't get Tobias off the hook just yet :-), but at least I can keep an
eye on some temperatures - http://jessen.ch/refrigeration/

/Per Jessen, Zürich