[rrd-developers] Re: rrdtool 1.2.1 graph generation performance

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue May 3 09:05:14 MEST 2005

Hi Philippe,

I looked at the code with a profiler ... most time is spent in
libart and in zlib ... the libart bit could be reduced by removing
the code for uncrossing and rewinding the lines
in the right order there was no need for this ...

still it is slower thatn libgd

otoh one could also add support for another drawing toolkit to
rrd_gfx since it is quite abstract ...

Today Philippe.Simonet at swisscom.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've built a loop in the bind/perl-shared/t/base.t graph call
> just to measure the graph time generation.
>
> with rrdtool 1.48 it takes 2 seconds to generate 100 graphs,
> and with 1.2.1 this takes 10 times more.
> (tested under debian-linux and ms-windows)
>
> Do I something wrong or is this normal ?
> Can I reduce the time by disabling some options or ....
>
> Thanks
>
> Philippe
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286