[rrd-developers] Re: GD in rrdtool 1.2

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun May 8 21:31:21 MEST 2005

Hi John,

libart does not do anything 'expensive' before the gfx_render_png
step ... you can verify this by creating eps output ... this is
about 8 times faster than png output ...

so what you need to implement is

gfx_render_pnggd

> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 17:00:48 +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > the idea of rrd_gfx was to allow for the production of different
> > output format ... supporting several renderers for the same format
> > was not the initial idea, but if you manage to integrate libgd
> > sensibly this is find ...
> >
> > from the interface point of view I would prefer if the gd renderer
> > was integrated into the output format switch ... so instead of
> >
> > PNG we would get gdPNG ...
> >
> > as for the 'heavy' reorganisation, I would thing that you
> > additional render code should be integrated like the one for
> > svg/pdf/eps ...
>
> What I wanted to do was get rid of libart as a _required_ backend,
> but perhaps this is unnecessary. Maybe accepting/requiring libart as a
> backend is a good thing?
>
> I was hoping reducing the backend use would speed things up, but since
> gfx_add_point() is often used, there's no getting around keeping
> everything in abstract form until the rendering is performed. (In
> either case, art_vpath_add_point() seems pretty light-weight to me.)
>
> Is requiring libart as good thing? If not, should we build a private
> substitute (used just to describe all the nodes: ART_LINETO etc) or
> should gfx_new_*() code simply call gfx_new_*_[renderer](), which
> might allow a specific renderer to do something more efficient?
>
> If libart is to be kept, I'll try to write some code to convert the
> libart structure into a GD image at the time of rendering. (I'm not
> sure this will save any running time though, but at least we'll get
> non anti-aliased output ;))
>
> > this is all a bit difficult to decide without seeing code :-)
> To be posted when I figure out the best way of doing things ;)
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286