[rrd-developers] Re: abstraction from libart

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon May 16 23:08:47 MEST 2005

Hi Gifford,

> 1.  libart is relatively unmaintained
> The author has been busy with his thesis, and gnome developers seem to
> be leaning toward cairo (at least Novell's mono team).

the problem is that when I last looked at cairo it was not exactly
attractive to be used as a replacement ... sort of 'not there yet'

what seemed to be a more attractive option was

 http://antigrain.com/index.html

this unfortunately is very c++ so I gave up on it ... but if
someone wants to contribute C bindings this looks VERY cool.

> 2.  other packages may offer more features
> For some, it may be desirable to sacrifice some performance in order
> to gain more capability.  I do not know how the performance of
> ImageMagick, for example, compares with libart, but ImageMagick offers
> many more output formats.

the question is what features you are looking for ...

> 3.  some platforms may offer analogous features natively
> It may be a stretch to call GDI+ "native" to Windows, but I can
> imagine a GDI+ version of rrdtool with no freetype, libart, libpng, or
> zlib dependencies.

I realy would like the default graphing backend to be platform
independant .. if someone comes up with GDI+ as an extra 'driver'
this is fine ...

> 4.  some people may want a feature-limited rrdtool
> I might want an rrdtool that only emitted SVG, for use with either an
> external rasterizer or an SVG-enable Firefox.

this would be very simple to achieve. As was pointed out before
there is no real libart integration before 'render_png' this could
be quite easily be broken out if there was an issue with linking
against libart ...

> I have been reviewing rrdtool, libart, cairo, and GDI+ and have some
> specific suggestions to make, if they would be useful.

sure by all means ...

as soon as 1.2.x slows in bug pace I will open 1.3.x and new things
can be tried ...

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286