[rrd-developers] Re: abstraction from libart

Gifford Hesketh gifford.hesketh at gmail.com
Tue May 17 00:57:10 MEST 2005

On 5/16/05, Burton Strauss <Burton at ntopsupport.com> wrote:
> As long as you are doing all the work :-), how about making it dynamic?
> <grin, duck and run />
>
> Compile all of them you find are possible and then use the 'best' one which
> really exists at run time.
>
> This would make rrdtool a lot less complex to package, and/or avoid the
> problems we've had with 1.0.x pulling in half of XFree86...
>
> -----Burton

I am thinking about interesting ways to do that.  I like some aspects
of the Apache module system, where you can either compile-in or
runtime-load modules.

There could be some "builtin" rrdtool (or librrd, I guess) output
providers -- SVG and PDF, for example.  Other output providers could
"register" as being able to generate a given format.  The provider
used could perhaps be selected by the user (as an option) or by the
code after "benchmarking" different providers that claim support for
the chosen format.

If we toss around some ideas, we might find something useful.