[rrd-developers] Patch to rrd_graph.c for printing only epoch time of a VDEF

Stefan Moser sm at open.ch
Thu May 19 12:52:25 MEST 2005

Hi Tobi,

I've written a small patch for rrd_graph.c to be able to print the epoch time
value instead of the ctime(3) formatted date string as is the default. I've
chosen %t for the formatter string (strftime uses %s, but this might lead to
confusion with the %s used for magnitude).

Example:

  # rrdtool graph foo.png DEF:foo=foo.rrd:outOctets:AVERAGE \
     VDEF:vfoo=foo,MAXIMUM PRINT:vfoo:'%lf'
  0x0
  90941.089605

  # rrdtool graph foo.png DEF:foo=foo.rrd:outOctets:AVERAGE \
     VDEF:vfoo=foo,MAXIMUM PRINT:vfoo:'%c'
  0x0
  Thu May 19 08:20:00 2005 (1116483600)

  # rrdtool graph foo.png DEF:foo=foo.rrd:outOctets:AVERAGE \
     VDEF:vfoo=foo,MAXIMUM PRINT:vfoo:'%lf'
  0x0
  1116483600

BTW, does the documentation of the date/time formatters for the PRINT
instruction (rrdgraph_graph.en.html) document features not implemented yet?
It says there that all manner of time format strings are supported, but in
reality, only %c works (which the code seems to confirm). Or am I just not
getting it?

cheers
-stefan