[rrd-developers] Re: Patch to rrd_graph.c for printing only epoch time of a VDEF

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu May 19 16:29:37 MEST 2005

Hi Alex,

> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:54:23PM +0200, Stefan Moser wrote:
>
> > I've written a small patch for rrd_graph.c to be able to print the epoch time
> > value instead of the ctime(3) formatted date string as is the default. I've
> > chosen %t for the formatter string (strftime uses %s, but this might lead to
> > confusion with the %s used for magnitude).
>
> I don't think this is the way to go.  If we start using our own
> characters, eventually we find ourselves in a situation where the
> rest of the world will have started using the same characters but
> with a different meaning.  Talk about confusion.
>
> What about having either a new command (PRINTT or TPRINT) or having
> a new escape sequence ('%_t' or '~t') ?

Since we do NOT follow printf syntax here anyway I do not see any
reason to add yet another syntax ... %t is a tab char in linux
strftime but I guess we can live with loosing this potential future
enhancement.

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286