[rrd-developers] Re: How to get the most performance when using lots of RRD files

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Aug 16 16:30:03 MEST 2006

Today Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> resolution data across a large set of records, and relatively infrequent
> viewing of that data. It sounds like you're trying to do something
> similar. Honestly if all you care about is databasing it would probably be
> easier to ditch RRD and use something else or write your own db which is
> more efficient.

Richard,

a balanced performance (read AND wrtie) without the need to
periodiacally clean up the mess, was the prime idea behind the
rrdtool datastructure. so if you know the holy grail on how to do
this 'better' I would be most interested ...

also ideas for the architecture of a 'cool' api (for passing a long and
flexible list of arguments into rrd functions) would be interesting ...

for the return values I do have somethig I like in rrd_info .... I
am thinking about integrating that acros the board for a future
version ...

if anyone wants to sponsor work in this direction, talk to me, I'll
be glad to make an offer.

http://tobi.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9907