[rrd-developers] Re: How to get the most performance when using lots of RRD files

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Aug 16 17:08:58 MEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:06:26PM +0000, larryjadams at comcast.net wrote:

> Would the system benefit from either having multiple server processes accepting RRD update commands or a multi-threaded server process, or are all the updates disk bound (aka the disk is too busy)?  I have found that the RRD update process not to be too disk intensive, at least from the aggregate I/O perspective.  However, disk seeks may be keeping the heads pretty busy.  This I have not evaluated.

If you update ten times, you have ten times open, seek, read, write, close.
If you update once and store ten rates, my gut feeling says it will be
better. The data is mostly sequential so I guess you'd save 9 opens, 9 closes,
and 9 seeks.

(actually, I think there is more than one seek involved each time. It will
be one seek per RRA that needs to be updated).

I am talking ten updates to the same RRD here, comparable to what
disk controllers do to increase data throughput.

No, I did not test this.  But you would probably do a better job at this
than I would anyway.

Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/