[rrd-developers] Re: How to get the most performance when using lots of RRD files

Ian Holsman lists at holsman.net
Fri Aug 18 07:41:19 MEST 2006

personally I always splitting out the meta-data from the variable
data would help alot.

for example of the 100k of RRDs I have, most have exactly the same
definition/RRA length etc.
so in this case my update program could load the definition areas
once in memory, and then proceed to update
the RRD variable stuff.

ie.. split out the 3 parts of a RRD file into 3 files, and share some
it.
my update program would then go from:

for i in *update do
  rrd_update filename value
end

read stat_head_t_file

for i in *update do
    rrd_update stat_head_t filename value

this would at least save on a read/seek
you could possibly also factor out the last update time so that
multiple files all have the same value
which you update at the end.

you still end up with files, but might even end up with a single file
per RRA and rra_def_t

On 18/08/2006, at 2:48 AM, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:

> Ole Bjørn Hessen wrote:
>>
>> I see a couple of ways out of this complexity problem:
>>
>> 1. Rewrite RRD-tool to separate the database from the graphing and
>> wait
>>    for someone to come up with a much smarter database method ;-)
>>
> Yup, this would be a huge step forward for RRDtool! It would make it
> more into a toolkit and make it easier for others to contribute as
> they
> could focus on a specific portion of the codebase/functionality. By
> separating the storage, we could experiment with storing individual
> RRAs
> in a SQL database or in a BDB. I can imagine that the buffer
> management
> and sequential log writes built into databases could significantly
> improve the performance, but then I can also imagine that they could
> screw it up in a major way :-).
>
> Thorsten
>
> --

Ian Holsman