[rrd-developers] Re: C API

Peter Stamfest peter at stamfest.at
Fri Feb 10 08:41:32 MET 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Lee Thompson wrote:

> Would you consider an LGPL license terms for a 'C'
> API?

It would probably be hard to get the consent of all contributors for this
(relicensing the _API_ won't be enough, as it is useless without the
implementation, AFAICT). _And_ some of the code might already be derived
work from other GPLed software linked with librrd. But I think it would be
a good idea to get some parts of librrd under a more liberal license: The
update part. And it should be able to put that part into its own library,
for 3rd parties to use. That would make the RRD format more available to
commercial tools. The presentation, I think, should remain under the GPL.
For my changes to the API/code _in that area_ (update) I'm willing to
change the license.

You could, of course, reimplement the entire RRD tool, but then you should
better not look too close at the existing source, as in some countries
this might get in conflict with copyright law.

BTW, Tobi, was there any discussion about the FLOSS exception in the
license? I have only just now stumbled across it here

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool-trac/browser/branches/1.2/program/COPYRIGHT?rev=728

I have to think about this, but that should not have happened
without a discussion with other contributors.

peter