[rrd-developers] Re: Dashed lines, LINE-syntax

John yffffffff4271ef37 at f4n.org
Mon May 29 00:58:26 MEST 2006

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 22:49:15 +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> it is not my intention to fight with you ... so if you want to
> argue about my sugestions, tell me then I won't have to spend my
> time writing these things up ...

I'm not fighting or trying to pick an argument with anyone, and I'm
truly sorry that you took it that way. I think we're misunderstanding
each other somehow.

> well using positional optional arguments was not a good idea, but
> there we are ... and after all there we are ... with your /
> spearator you would again break stuff, notably all instances where
> / was used in the comment ...
>
> stack on the other hand is a key[=value] type argument so there is
> not need for an extra empty :: pair if there is no stack ...

The reason I suggested "/" as a separator was so that the old syntax
(with no changes whatsoever) would continue to work, hence the
following two lines would be equivalent (and valid):

LINE3.5:in#ff0000:Incoming:STACK
LINE:in/width=3.5/color=#ff0000/stack/legend=Incoming

How could this break anything? AFAICT, the second line isn't valid in
the current syntax since a 'value' can't contain "/" (right?) and
must be followed by "#", ":" or nothing.

(This means that only the first "/" is important, the others could be
":" or whatever.)

Anyhow, I'll leave the subject for the time being, and again I'm sorry
if you thought I was being rude.