[rrd-developers] RRDtool 1.3 Beta 1 "LinuxWorld release"

D. Walsh info at daleenterprise.com
Thu Aug 9 02:39:32 CEST 2007

I took the Makefile.am files and added a few lines to each one which
allows building as a framework.

In my 1.0.49 version I also made changes to fix/allow building in a
build directory since this never worked properly.

The framework also includes the cgilib so it's a one-stop framework

I'd send you a diff but since I hacked the files to skip building the
example stuff

One thing I haven't fixed (not that it's important in the 1.0.49
version) is the 'rrdtool --help' or 'rrdtool --help <command>' in the
rrdtool application (this has never worked that I am aware of)
As well, it builds a tcl and python module for 1.0.49, I'd upload my
modified 1.0.49 version for you to examine but I can't remember the
ftp login information from the last time I uploaded something since
it's been so long.

I also have a framework.m4 file that allows you to test for
frameworks and functions (a modified CHECK_LIBS routine)and I've been
using a different but more mainstream approach to obtain file
suffixes for shared libraries and modules.

It currently takes: (I'd do a proper fix if I could get some info
about other OS's)
./configure --enable-shared --with-tcllib=/usr/lib # location of
tclConfig.sh - shared must be enabled because I was lazy and don't test
make framework
make install-framework

To include the header file I use:
#include <RRDTool/rrd.h>
instead of:
#include <rrd.h>

To link:
- -framework RRDTool
instead of:
- -L/lib/path -lrrd'

I include a rrdConfig.sh file to aid in development.

I did leave a method which allows a legacy include by creating a
symlink in /$(prefix}/include to the header files and symlinks to the
library files so anything that previously built without issue will
continue to do so.

Linking is done with -framework RRDTool' instead of -'L/lib/path -
lrrd' and I include a rrdConfig.sh file to aid in development.

I could do a much better job if I had some info about framework
patchs and detection and I spent more time on it but hey, it was a
quick fix and the end product is fantastic.

- -- Dale