[rrd-developers] mmap considerations

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Jun 13 11:03:45 CEST 2007

Hi Bernhard,

the time bit is trecherouse ... I HAVE todo other stuff ... alas
... but I sneek out every now and then ...

the reason rrd_create is 'critical' is not performance as such, but
cache pollution ... by creating just a few rrd files cache gets
thrown out of whak quite badly .. I have been running my
performance.pl script which creates a bunch of rrd files and then
updates them ... I found that the memory system takes quite a long
time to figure which data it should keep and which it should drop
... a single rrd_create can have quite a long lasting negative
effect ...

I assume the kernel prefers keeping a whole file in memory as to
just a few scattered blocks in many files ... (which makes sense in
general, just not for rrdtool)

the test case shows that the mmap code goes to about 20k updates
per second when stuff is in cache while 1.2.24dev goes to 12k
updates per second ...

I have not quite figured out the logic behind it all ...

if you care to play as well, I have attached my testing code ...

fincore to see which blocks are cached
fadont to drop all non dirty blocks
performance.pl my performance test

regarding the graphing part, the only bit where it accesses the
filesystem directly is when writing out the png/pdf/svn/... file
the rest of the interaction goes through rrd_fetch ...

not sure about dropping the png file ... this only makes sense for
people who create many pngs and not on demand ...

dropping rrd_fetch (except the hot blocks) does make sense in my opinnion
since it stops cache pollution ... should be configurable for cases
where the user knows that he is going to re-read the same rrd file
twice in a row ...

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902