[rrd-developers] rrd cache work

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Fri Aug 29 22:45:32 CEST 2008

Hi Kevin,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 02:48:48PM -0500, kevin brintnall wrote:
> I was interested in checking your source, but it doesn't look like the
> latest versions are available via your "rrdd.git" repository.  Also, I
> didn't see them integrated into the rrdtool SVN tree.

no, I've continued development in a separate Git branch of the RRDTool
repository. If you want, I can make that available somewhere. I've
posted my changes as one huge patch since Tobi wanted it that way. The
patch could be found at
<http://verplant.org/temp/rrdtool-trunk-rrd_update_with_cache.patch>. It
has automatically been deleted in the meantime, but I've just fished it
out of the backup. I hope the patch still applies to the current trunk -
if not, I need to pull in the SVN changes that were made since then. The
file will be deleted again in 31 days.

> What's the current status of the project?  This project is of interest
> to me; I am trying to scale our RRD installation up by at least an
> order of magnitude.  I could contribute to the development if you are
> interested..

I merged all that stuff into the RRDTool code, because Tobi expressed
interest in having the functionality in the core program and because, in
fact, that is the most sensible thing to do. Tobi repeatedly delayed
applying the changes because he wanted to ``let 1.3 in trunk for a
while''. At one point I got really annoyed and told the list. Quite a
few people expressed interest in the code, but to this date nothing more
happened.

If you want to contribute further changes I'd love to include them in
the patch. If you have questions regarding the code, don't hesitate to
ask.

I've CC'ed the list, just in case..

Regards,
-octo