[rrd-developers] on the road to rrdtool 1.4

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Dec 10 14:40:12 CET 2008

Folks,

The last few days have seen a lot of changes to the rrdtool svn. I
have spent some time in the last few days following up on all
pending problem reports and integrated a few patches. Trunk is now pretty
up to date ... I have also back ported all relevant changes to 1.3
and 1.2 I will push new releases by the end of the week. Here is a
list of changes in trunk:

* rrdtool restore works correctly on architectures where
  strtod does not convert NaN to a floating point NAN.

* rrdtool dump is now backward compatible to 1.3 again

* a second vertical axis can be drawn into the graph (right-axis)

* --full-size-mode works much better, especially the legend
  placement works correctly now.

* better OSX build for perl bindings

* fix for ruby rrdlast bindings

* check and compensate for broken MS_ASYNC implementation (causing rrd time
  stamps not to be updated) affecting older Linuxes and OSX at
  least.

* replaced segfault with error message for broken rrd_graph
  arguments

* integrated win32 source port by exitgames.com

* fixed seek error seen on some platforms when fetching past the
  data range actually present in an RRD file

* libdbi patch integration which provides a direct path from
  rrdgraph to sql databases by Martin Sperl

* fine tuning and documenting rrdcached by Kevin

as I am aiming for a release of RRDtool 1.4 in January, it would be
great if you could give the code a whirl in your environment

Up to date snapshots of all active branches and trunk can be found
under "Development Snapshots" on

  http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/download.en.html