[rrd-developers] Accelerator Daemon

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Wed Jul 2 10:39:26 CEST 2008

Hi Scott,

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 04:32:50PM -0700, Scott Brumbaugh wrote:
> Rrdtool allows for automated network monitoring through the rrd_xport
> function.  You can readout the current rate estimates and use them to
> update filters to do automated monitoring.  For this type of
> application it is good to be able to read out the last few rate
> estimates quickly after an update.

good thing you mention `xport', it doesn't yet have the `--daemon'
option. I'll add it later this week..

As for your specific application: I never said that this caching daemon
is the cure for all problems related to IO - it's one way to address a
specialized though very common scenario.

Likewise, your distributed storage/centralized graphing is very cool and
I'd love to see it in the main distribution[1]. However, it has
drawbacks that make in inappropriate for our case[2].

So I guess one size doesn't fit all. If, however, you have suggestions
how your use case may be covered by `rrdcached', too, please go ahead
and tell me.

By the way: The `unixsock' plugin of `collectd' provides the a `GETVAL'
command that can be used to query the last rate of any data set.  If you
don't load the `rrdtool' and `csv' plugins nothing (except log entries,
of course) will be written to disk and you will not have any (disk-)IO
problems - promised! ;)

Regards,
-octo

[1] Maybe instead of RPC it'd make more sense to integrate that into
    this daemon..? Personally I'm not a big fan of RPC ;)
[2] The central graphing server must not have direct network access to
    hosts in specially secured networks, such as storage nodes.
--
Florian octo Forster
Hacker in training