[rrd-developers] Accelerator Daemon

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Fri Jul 18 09:38:19 CEST 2008

Hi Tobi,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 05:23:52PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> so if the daemon enablement environment variable is set then the
> updatev command will fail ? this is fine too.

no it doesn't yet, but that makes sense.. I'll see to it.

> Reading between the lines, I sense that you are not interested in
> maintaining and polishing stuff, but rather in the thrill of writing
> new things.

I have to admit that writing new stuff is much more fun, but I don't
mind maintaining that code, too. But I'd like to get it right first (i.
e. get the daemon stable) and make it fancy later (i. e. add support for
the daemon to little used commands such as `lastupdated').[1]

> In the same sense I guess I have to take your inaction regarding the
> rrd_restore problem ?

I don't mind looking into that, but I'm afraid my time if very limited
at the moment. This will get better after August 1st, but the few
remaining days until July 22nd are a nightmare.. So if this problem can
wait a few more days I'll take care of it, no problem. If you need it
asap you're better off not waiting for me..

> Any Code is better than no code.

If by that you mean my patch, I'd be offended. Please take a look - it
adds over 14kBytes of manual pages, to mention just one point where the
patch differs from ``just some blob of code''.

Regards,
-octo

[1] Speaking of fancy, I just realized that `rrdcgi' might be one of the
    candidates that should know about the daemon, too. I'll check that..
    It might take some days, though ;)
--
Florian octo Forster
Hacker in training