[rrd-developers] [rrd] Re: comments on build instructions (was: rrdtool-1.3rc7 is out)

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sun Jun 1 21:58:25 CEST 2008

Hi Peter,

> Hello Tobias. Some comments as you asked :)
>
> The document describes how to install libpng, zlib, freetype and
> fontconfig, but you didn't check for them in configure.ac (all relevant
> checks are commented). I suppose that's due to cairo already having all
> this dependencies. Right?

Yes, that is why the checks were dropped.

> Then why don't you drop this installation instructions as if
> somebody have cairo installed everything else will be installed
> too?

The build instructions cover all parts you need to install so that
you can build rrdtool this includes png and zlib ...

> Also I think it's better to notice explicitly that cairo
> should be built with svg support, isn't? At least build of
> rrdtool when cairo is built without svg support fails...

I think there is such a check in configure ...

> Can I assume that versions of libraries in commented lines of
> configure.ac are correct? I'd like to set minimal versions for rrdtool
> in Gentoo thus I'm  going to take values from that commented lines...

well these are just the last versions I tested with. Since I do not
access png/zlib functionality directly, the minimal requirements
would be defined by cairo, libxml, freetype who use zlib

> Typos:
>
> line 10: thrid -> third
> line 82: a a -> a
> line 107: woking -> working
> line 137: environamen variable -> environment variables
> line 146: LDFLAG -> LDFLAGS
> line 147: Unfortunatly -> Unfortunately
> line 175: otherwhise -> otherwise
> line 207: likley -> likely
> line 248: changeing -> changing

thanks

> Addition to section "INSTALLING DEPENDENCIES". Sorry for clear text, but
> I don't know what tags what mean there :)

> Gentoo
>
> In Gentoo to install rrdtool you just need to "emerge rrdtool". All
> dependencies will be handled automagicaly by portage system. The only
> thing you should care about are USE flags, which allow you fine tune
> features rrdtool will be built with. Currently the following USE flags
> are available:
>
> doc    - install .html and .txt documentation
>          into /usr/share/doc/rrdtool-1.x.xx/
> perl   - build and install perl language bindings
> python - build and install python language bindings
> ruby   - build and install ruby language bindings
> tcl    - build and install tcl language bindings
> rrdcgi - build and install rrdcgi
>
> After you've decided which USE flags you need, set them either in
> make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use and finally run:
>
>  # emerge -va rrdtool

cool
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902