[rrd-developers] it exposes too much ...

Tobi Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Jun 9 18:07:42 CEST 2008

Hi Sebastian,

I am having second thoughts ... with all the lowlevel functions
exported, we are runnning into a maintenance nightmare as fahr as
backward compatibility is concerned. A futere rrdtool version (1.4)
which comes with a new fileformat, would have to emulate all these
lowlevel interfaces ...

So how about this. We export the symbols but do NOT put them in
rrd.h. this means that if someone wants to code, using them, it
will work, but it will also mean that they have to use our private
headers for compilation, makeing it clear that there is not
guarantee for support in future versions ...

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902