[rrd-developers] it exposes too much ...

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Jun 11 10:00:57 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 03:50:09PM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> Then users (and by that I mean other programmers ;) can do:
>  #if RRD_VERSION < 0x010400 /* Versions before 1.4.0 */
>    status = rrd_deprecated_function_13 (...);
>  #else /* RRD_VERSION >= 0x010400 */
>    status = rrd_function_14 (...);
>  #endif

If I didn't miss anything, something like RRD_VERSION is not available
to the user. rrd_format.h defines RRD_VERSION, but that's the version of
the file format. Imho it would be really nice to be able to get the
library version (or API version, but that should then be basically equal
to that version string passed to libtool - the interpretation of that
string by libtool makes me sick though [1]) from rrd.h.

Any thoughts about that?

Cheers,
Sebastian

[1] The string is made up of current:revision:age. Now, if I get libtool
    right, the library's major SONAME version is calculated differently
    depending on the architecture. E.g. Linux it's 'current - age' while
    on FreeBSD it seems to be '"." current'. So, it looks like (at least
    that's the only interpretation that makes sense to me) that some
    architectures (like FreeBSD) are not able to handle additions to the
    API correctly. I'd really appreciate if anybody could give me a hint
    the helps me to get enlightenment in that respect ;-)

    So, if we want to make the API version available thru some header
    file, I guess, we'd have to reimplement that weird logic.