[rrd-developers] rrdupates per second

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Sat Jun 21 18:54:33 CEST 2008

Hi Scott,

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 01:53:46PM -0700, Scott Brumbaugh wrote:
> > my thinking was that we could have a RRD Daemon running that would
> > the CLI would talk to instead of accessing the files directly.

I've had the same idea, but never really had the _need_ to actually sit
down and write such a daemon. You mail motivated me enough to finally do
it, though ;)

What I have so far I nowhere near stable - the code is less than 24
hours old. So I post this here for you to review and complain about
concepts at a stage where fundamental changes are still possible.

The package consists of three parts:
- rrdd (RRD daemon; if you like, call this R2D2 ;)
  Daemon that opens a UNIX socket (right now hard coded to
  /tmp/rrdd.sock), waits for commands (only `update' is implemented
  right now) and caches the values using `libavl1'[1]. The code will
  actually call `rrd_update_r' every 300 seconds for each file.
- librrdc (RRD client library)
  Library that abstracts socket creation and encapsulates the network
  protocol.
- rrdc (RRD client)
  Simply wrapper around the `rrdtool' binary. If the ``command'' is
  `update' dispatches the actual values to `rrdd' using `librrdc',
  otherwise exec(2)s `rrdtool'.

Of course all hard limits are due to the early development stage of this
code - I don't say that 300 seconds is good enough for everybody ;)

More commands may be added later, such as `flush' or `stats' (I *know*
you want graphs of your graphing infrastructure! ;).

You can pull my Git repository from
  <git://git.verplant.org/rrdd.git>
or browse the source and change sets online at
  <http://git.verplant.org/?p=rrdd.git;a=summary>

Oh, by the way: RRDd started out as a working title, but as we all know
these names tend to stick. A quick search using Google did not turn up
and other RRDTool related projects. If you know one, please let me know
so I can change the name.

Regards,
-octo

[1] That's the name of the Debian package. Unfortunately I didn't find a
    web page for the library :/
--
Florian octo Forster
Hacker in training