[rrd-developers] Accelerator Daemon

Ian Holsman (Lists) lists at holsman.net
Wed Jun 25 03:27:40 CEST 2008

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Today Florian Forster wrote:
>

>> If people want to screw up their RRD files, there are easier ways to do
>> this. Update with a time stamp far in the future, for example.
>
> The problem is that rrdtool is totally not forgiving when it comes
> to updates ... one update and you have A lot of work ahead of you.
> Scenario, there is that nice frontend which supports rrdcached and
> you switch it on an off via a commandline option ... for some
> reason the tool gets restarted without the option which the cache
> daemon has not yet written all the data ... if it is a big
> installation (io-hell) you get to fix A LOT of files ... So if we
> can help it 'by design' then we should ...

I think you guys are tackling this in a slightly different way than I
was thinking.

why limit the 'RRD server' with backwards compatability?

you could make it a either/or situtation..
you deploy the non-server client version 'OR' you implement the server
based client. you don't run both against the same files. you could mark
the files with a different magic cookie so that people don't get
confused (and have a program to switch cookies to 'import/export' it out
of the server).

the server based client would just issue the commands against the socket
and get the results instead of manipulating the file directly.
there would be no option for that client to write directly.

--I