[rrd-developers] Numerous fixes - most of them for warnings.

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Sun Mar 23 16:34:57 CET 2008

Hi again,

I have a few easy fixes for you. They're all against the current trunk.

- 0001-MakeMakefile-check_for_intltool.patch
  I've checked out the repository on another machine and started
  searching why I didn't have the `IT_PROG_INTLTOOL' autoconf macro. So
  I've added that to the `MakeMakefile' script.
  Also I've changed the clean up part a bit. If you don't like it,
  please change at least the `rm -r' to a `rm -rf', because otherwise it
  complains about non-existing files.

- 0002-rrd_restore.c-fix_header.patch
  I assume you used `indent' when applying my patch to rrd_restore.c.
  Somehow the comment at the beginning of the file got messed up badly.
  So bad, it wouldn't even compile here.. This patch fixes that and
  makes the header nice again.

The following patches fix warnings. Warnings annoy me so that I usually
build with `-Werror'. I guess you know what I'm talking about, since
basically all available `-W*' options are used ;) Please consider the
following patches:

- 0003-rrd_graph.c-compare_signed_unsigned.patch
  Somewhere in rrd_graph.c an int is compared to a size_t, which may or
  may not be signed. This patch casts the size_t to an int to avoid a
  warning.

- 0004-rrd_open.c-unused_static_function.patch
  There's a static function that's only used when debugging is enabled,
  but declared in any case. This patch changes that, so that the
  function is only declared if it is used, too.

- 0005-rrd_tool.c-help_strings.patch
  (My version of) GCC doesn't like initializations like
    char foo[] = N_("bar");
  so I've changed that to be
    const char *foo = N_("bar");
  The variables are later passed to `_' which now gets a pointer to
  read-only memory. I'm not entirely sure how the `_' macro works, but
  on my machine it worked all out fine.

- 0006-rrd_update.c-unused_arguments.patch
  The function `calculate_cdp_val' in rrd_update.c gets passed two
  arguments, that are only used if debugging is enabled. This patch
  assigns a value to the variables to silence the compiler. This
  assignment should be removed by optimizers and thus not pose a
  performance issue.

- 0007-rrdgraph_examples.pod-runaway_list.patch
  A `=over' in rrdgraph_examples.pod was not matched by a `=back'. This
  patch fixes this.

Regards,
-octo
--