[rrd-developers] rrdtool-1.3rc3 is out

D. Walsh info at daleenterprise.com
Sun May 18 11:28:03 CEST 2008

Unfortunately at this time I haven't been promoting the use of
RRDTool in the Mac OS world and have halted all development of
RRDTool interfaces (web or GUI related) until the 32/64bit issues has
been resolved and a back-port to v1.049 is available so that I can
bring RRDTool back into OS X.

Since I have been responsible for developing and supporting RRDTool
in Mac OS X since the 10.3.4 days (files pulled from apple.com and
osx.topicdesk.com) and have been doing so to meet a specific need/
requirement, dropping support for RRDTool 1.0.49 is not an option,
it's easier to drop RRDTool altogether than it is to further
development on a version of RRDTool that far exceeds the requirements
and I have no immediate or specific use for and does not meet the use
or requirement of integration into existing administration utilities.

It makes little sense for me to continue development when the
required supported version is the 1.0.49 branch because it is self
reliant and makes excellent use by integration as a framework and
integrates easily into the available administration utilities than
the newer versions which require a lot of additional external
dependancies and a lot of additional work to integrate into the
utilities.

This doesn't mean that the newer versions were precluded, they were
provided in the event that the end user needed the enhanced
functionality offered by the newer version and by a simple dynamic
link they could change the framework to the newer versions to suit
their needs.

The problem exists because as of Mac OS X 10.5.0, perl executes
related apps and scripts in 32bit and apache executes in 64bit, the
lack of compatibility between the two file formats makes it difficult
to advance development until it has been resolved.

For example, the use of amavis-stats for spam/viri/mail statistics
uses perl to scan the appropriate log files so the generated files
are 32bit, apache is 64bit and doesn't like the file contents so the
use of the php module for graph generation/display is useless,
thinning the rrdtool apps to 32bit and using the binaries to generate
the graphs is a solution but then this removes any possible 64bit
apps and utilities of generating data files because the rrdtool apps
wont be able to process them.

There may be others using Mac OS X 10.5.x and RRDTool but they will
be using it for a very limited and specific purposes, wont involve
perl and apache and if they do use perl and apache they have to break
the environment and thin out apache to 32bit which will break on any
OS software update so use will be at a minimal until I can continue
development.

On May 16, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Users!
>
> A tester reported a regression with logarithmic graphs versus 1.2
> (the cacti problemm refered to in RC2). The fix for this and an
> update to rrdtool dump (backward compatibility) are in RC3.
> Download the new release from the development snapshots area of
>
>   http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/download.en.html
>
> * I have still no reports from Frontend people regarding their
>   compatibility issues (if any).
>
> Please test this release on your system. I am especially interested
> in additions to the build instructions:
>
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/browser/trunk/program/doc/
> rrdbuild.pod
>
> If no major issues are found, I will be releasing 1.3.0 some time
> next week.
>
> For a chance to chat about the new release, check out the Nordic
> Nagois Meet June 3-4 2008 http://www.nordicnagiosmeet.wmr.se/
>
> cheers
> tobi

- -- Dale