[rrd-developers] RFC new DS type DGAUGE

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Sun Nov 16 23:43:32 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:18:51AM +0100, Florian Forster wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 03:56:15PM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> >  A new datasource type called DGAUGE. It would always *round down* the
> >  timestamp to the last step.
>
> Maybe a good compromise would be to make this `now - (now % step)'
> calculation easier, so people who know what they're doing can do it with
> less pain. For this, we could add an alternative to the `N' time
> specification, for example `B' as `Beginning of interval' or `S' as
> `Step border'. An update would then become:
>
>  $ rrdtool update "$FILE" B:1.23
>  $ rrdtool update "$FILE" S:1.23

Interesting idea, but I don't think it solves quite the same problem.

This may cause problems in files with mixed DS types.  Perturbing the
update time to get the "DGAUGE" updates right screws up the other DS's.

Also this causes issues with rrdcached, since it will have to know each
RRD's step value ...

--
 kevin brintnall =~ /kbrint at rufus.net/