[rrd-developers] [patch] rrdcached init script and spec file

Bernard Li bernard at vanhpc.org
Wed Oct 8 00:58:01 CEST 2008

Hi all:

I have some comments regarding the rrdtool spec file that is in trunk
now (which includes changes to incorporate rrdcached).

First of all, thanks to Daniel for putting this together (saves me the
work, heh).

However, I have two comments:

1) I think we should break this out as a separate subpackage such as
rrdtool-rrdcached as I don't think rrdcached is needed by your
everyday installation (only large installations).  Incorporating it in
the main rrdtool package and especially by including an init script
gives users the impression that this is something that is needed by
everybody, which I don't think is the case.

2) By default, the rrdcached daemon is started once you install the
RPM.  While I think it is fine to add rrdcached as a service, I don't
think it's a good idea to start up the daemon by default especially
when one might want to make some configuration changes prior starting.
 It should be left to the user to start/top the daemon as they like.

If you guys agree, I can go ahead and create a patch for the above two
points.  I may have additional comments after I've had some time to
play with the new code.

Thanks,

Bernard