[rrd-developers] spec file comments

Daniel.Pocock at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Pocock at barclayscapital.com
Wed Oct 8 12:38:06 CEST 2008

Bernard, are you already re-working the spec file, or should I go ahead
and do it?  Either way, I have some more comments on the subject:

I notice this is in the spec file:

   %define pre rc9

Is that still needed?  There are various references to this %{pre}
variable, I just deleted them all to make it build without complaining.

The versions are hard coded:

   Version: 1.3.99908093000
   Source0:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/beta/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz

Is there any convenient way to auto-generate that field?  Ganglia
includes a script for trying to work out the version based on the SVN
revision, although that method is not perfect because of the way SVN
works.  It would be nice to set this value correctly in each of the
daily snapshots, so that people can just run rpmbuild -tb
rrdtool-trunk-snapshot.tar.gz.

The rrdcached user and: rather than hardcoding the username, could we
have:

%if %{!?_with_rrdcached_user}
%define _with_rrdcached_user rrdcached
%endif
%configure \
   %{?_with_rrdcached_user} \
%files
%attr(0775 %{?_with_rrdcached_user} %{?_with_rrdcached_group}) %dir
%{_localstatedir}/run/rrdcached

/etc/default/rrdcached can be generated by configure as well (it needs
to contain the user name).

It would be nice to specify usernames with a command like:

   rpmbuild -tb --with-rrdcached-user testuser --with-rrdcached-group
testgroup rrdtool-XXX.tar.gz

Regards,

Daniel

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays Group.