[rrd-developers] spec file comments

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Wed Oct 8 22:15:05 CEST 2008

> In my patch I just hardcode the user as rrdcached.  I don't see a real
> benefit to having this user-definable, however, as it currently stands
> we have a problem with the ownership of the .rrd files created by
> RRDtool via other programs (like Ganglia).  We need to come up with a
> solution where both these applications and rrdcached have read/write
> access to the rrd files.  For instance, rrd files generated by Ganglia
> can be owned by nobody or ganglia.  rrd files created by Cacti will be
> owned by cacti etc -- how to get rrdcached to play nice with this
> setup...?

Run multiple copies of RRDCached, on different sockets.  One daemon per
RRD owner.

Or, group perms where the RRD files are group writable and "rrdcached"
user is member of any group.  Then, you have to trust your "cacti" process
not to write files in the "ganglia" directory, and vice versa..  but you
don't have to remember which daemon to point to for every operation.

--
 kevin brintnall =~ /kbrint at rufus.net/