[rrd-developers] regression testing?

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Oct 16 17:49:34 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 04:21:56PM +0100, Daniel.Pocock at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> Are there any test scripts I should run before submitting patches?  At
> the moment, my testing is limited to those things that I think might be
> impacted by a change.

I don't think there are any such test cases so far. I've already been
thinking about introducing automatic testing mechanisms but I did not
yet have the time to do so.

I'm pretty sure, the basic mechanism can be copied from some other
project. However, we need to think about what to test. So far, I've just
come up with the following first ideas:

 - use aggressive compiler flags, debugging memory management libs, and
   similar (not sure though if that can reasonably be done automatically
   but having the test cases available would still be a good thing)

 - cover example use cases (e.g. starting with examples from the
   documentation like the Beginner's Guide) and verify the results

 - define the expected behavior for each tool and design test cases for
   each specified feature (this will probably be a lot of work but, I
   guess, it will provide the best test cases and might also further
   improve the documentation)

Any comments, suggestions, further ideas, and, especially, patches are
mostly welcome ;-)

Cheers,
Sebastian