[rrd-developers] implementing portable format

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Fri Oct 31 01:45:54 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:53:07PM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> * thinking about the work dan is doing I think it would be an
>   overall good thing to find a sensible design for rrd_open which
>   de-coules internal and on-disk representation of rrd data to a
>   large extent.

Tobi,

I think the various storage changes will involve quite a few iterations.
Do you think it makes sense to release 1.4 without backend changes, so
users can start to take advantage of rrdcached?

I think there are many large installations that may benefit from
rrdcached..  However, probably most users won't want to track /trunk once
the storage back-end is in flux.

Maybe we can start to tidy up for 1.4 now (while the storage code is
relatively stable) and target the storage changes (portable format,
different backends) for 1.5?

What do you think?

--
 kevin brintnall =~ /kbrint at rufus.net/