[rrd-developers] rrd cache work

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Sep 2 23:34:37 CEST 2008

Kevin,

[...]
> I rather like the idea of introducing this feature without changes to the
> existing API.  I'd like to see us continue in the current direction.  By
> forcing changes upstream, we make it harder to adopt this enhancement.

yes, I would definitly second that ... the easier we make it for
existing projects to adopt the new functionality the better.

(look how google made their chrome browser sucht that it installs
on an unpriviledged windows user account just like that ... very
clever)

I think the key here is to document what happens, so if the library
opens a connection and pools it, this should be explained in the
docs.

[...]
> I see your point.  There are problems with the throttling approach on
> either extreme.

Not sure how this is applicable here, but an idea I have been toying
with recently is that the application could throttle itself based
on how long it takes to send a block of data to the target without
throttling and then starts backing of from this a little. So
whenever the system is not able to keep up, the sender will
automatically throttle itself a little more.