[rrd-developers] looking at apis from a users perspective

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Sep 8 17:36:43 CEST 2008

Today Florian Forster wrote:

> My last point, and here I really dive into personal preference without
> any good arguments for it: Mixing names such as `librrd_version' with
> ``smallCapsNames'' is horrible. I don't like the caps approach much, so
> I'd much prefer `rrd_get_ds_count' over `librrd_countDSs'. Actually, I'd
> simply change that function to:

CapNames are so windows :-)

> I've done a quick mockup, how I'd design the API. I didn't even try to
> compile anything, so there may be syntax errors and stuff all around.
> It's just to get the basic idea(s) across. Any ideas / comments?

As I said before I am not much into designing c-apis (I dream in
perl). So what I would like to see is the user-side of the api.

How about you write a short sample application with your idea of an
api and so does José. The application should do the following in
terms of todays function calls:

* rrd_create (2 ds, 3 rras)
* rrd_update_v
* rrd_graph_v