[rrd-developers] rrdcached daemonize failed, exiting

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Sep 23 22:48:02 CEST 2008

Today kevin brintnall wrote:

> If you connect via inet socket, then any user on the host can issue
> commands.  If you connect via unix socket, you can chmod it to allow for
> that.

I just read through the rrdcached documentation and I think we need
to have something done regarding security.

a) we need some sort of access control and authentication. Guess
   shared secret with hash would be enough.

b) it must be possible to set a (virtual) root directory for the
   daemon, so that it does not soly rely on permissions being
   properly set.

I want my tools to be able to run properly on an open-access  multi
user machine (this is unix after all). Think university lab
environment.