[rrd-developers] rrdcached shutdown

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Fri Sep 26 06:56:58 CEST 2008

Hi Bernard,

Yesterday Bernard Li wrote:

> Hi Tobi:
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
>
> > no, but I will be glad to include one as an example if you create
> > one ...
>
> I will be glad to write one, but then the question would be which user
> we should start the daemon as.

Well since rrdcached on its own is not much use anyway, I would
rather see this startup script as an example, possibly done in a
distribution independent way using just unix tools. With usernames
and such configurable.

> Not sure if you followed one of our conversations but basically with
> Ganglia, it looks like we need to do some hackery with the Unix domain
> socket ownership to support multiple user owned processes to
> communicate with rrdcached.

I did not follow that, but you just have t set the permissions of
the socket and its containing directory apropriately.