[rrd-developers] implementing portable format

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:12:26 CEST 2009

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 10:08:06AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

>This sounds like quite a bit of added complexity. It would
>require us to be able to convert from all platforms to all other
>platforms ... I have the feeling that adding one new format with
>the ability to read the old one already puts quite something on our
>plate.

Why didn't we use htonl(), ntohl() etc, btw?

It's not that converting between "host" and "network" byte order is
something new, ISTR..

This means that we just store the data in network byte order on disk
and read it back with ntohl(), ntohs(). This should result in
much reduced pain, i would say.

Thoughts?